LinkedIn is no longer just a professional social networking service. Strategic marketers are now using it to take their social media marketing campaigns to the next level by increasing business and brand awareness, generating leads and driving revenue. And with over 300 million professionals using the site, it’s easy to see why.
According to Social Media Examiner LinkedIn not only gives exposure and access to important people but it helps attract new prospects, keeps existing vendors and clients close, sparks possibilities for marketing or business partnership, and generates introductions and referrals. That’s quite an amount of punch for one social media platform.
What is the link between professional connections and economic opportunity?
Advertising on LinkedIn is becoming big business with 20% of its $568 million revenue for quarter 3, 2014, coming from marketing solutions – an increase of 40% on the same quarter in 2013. In July 2013, LinkedIn announced their Sponsored Updates ad service, allowing individuals and companies to pay a fee to have LinkedIn sponsor their content and spread it to their user base. Advertisers pay for these targeted ads on a pay per click-through basis.
According to Digital Marketing Ramblings there are 2.1 million interest groups on LinkedIn, with 8,000 new groups being created weekly. With growth like that it’s easy to see why marketers should be using the site for more than a new job. Never before has it been so easy to reach a target audience, with specific shared interests and in a desired geographical area.
The Sophisticated Marketer’s Guide to LinkedIn found that 50% of members are more likely to buy from a company they engage with on LinkedIn and a huge 80% of LinkedIn members want to connect with companies—because those connections provide them opportunities to enhance their professional decision-making. All it takes is a sophisticated marketer who seizes the opportunity to engage them.
Five Strategic Marketing Tools for LinkedIn
- Company Pages – Use your page to market your business and connect with the LinkedIn community
- Company Updates – Tailor your company’s status updates to your followers’ professional interests
- Sponsored Updates – Extend your reach by delivering updates into the feeds of members beyond those already following your company
- Display advertising – Use LinkedIn Premium Display Advertising to reach a high-quality professional audience or drive new customers to your business with CPC LinkedIn Ads platform
- Inmail – Reach anyone on LinkedIn without an introduction or contact information
Check out this video for more information on LinkedIn Sponsored Updates